WORKING AT HOME WITH YOUR CHILD
Parents often ask how they may help their children at home. There is no single answer but you may find some of the following advice helpful:
- Do make sure that your child has enough sleep.
- Do make sure that they arrive at school on time.
- Encourage children to ask and answer questions.
- Answer questions as fully as you are able.
- Read regularly to your child, and let your child see you reading.
- Listen to your child reading books, signs, shopping lists etc.
- Play word games such as I Spy and Scrabble.
- Join the local library and encourage regular visits together.
- Ask your child questions that need answers using Mathematics e.g. “What is the number of our house?”
- Play number games such as Snakes and Ladders, and Ludo.
- Involve your child in measuring and estimating in the home.
The school’s Homework policy is available upon request.
Above all, encourage your child in what they do and praise them whenever you can. When your child starts school you will receive more detailed advice to support you in this.