Board of Governors
WHAT DO THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS DO?
The Board of Govenors is made up of the Head Teacher, a member of staff, parents, one person appointed by the Local Authority, and representatives of the local community. They meet at least once a term as a full Board of governors, as well as in committee meetings.
What are their responsibilities?
They decide, with the Head Teacher, the aims and policies of the school and how the standards of education can be improved.
They decide in general terms, how the school should be run. The Head Teacher is responsible for the day-to-day management of the school.
With the Head Teacher and staff, governors help to draw up the School Development Plan.
They help, with the Head Teacher and the Local Authority, to decide how to spend the school budget.
They make sure that the national Curriculum, Foundation Stage Curriculum and Religious Education curriculum are taught appropriately, and that the school reports on children’s attainment within this.
They select the Head Teacher and Deputy Heads.
They assist in appointing other new staff.
They act as a link between the school and the local community.
They draw up an action plan after an Ofsted inspection, and make sure that it is put into place.
Individual governors have no power: the Board of governors act together.
MEMBERSHIP OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS
Start of term of office
End of term of office
Mr J Pettifer
Chairman/local authority governor
Mrs M Smith
Vice Chair/co-opted governor
Mr R. Drew
Mr S Hession
Mrs F Patel
Mrs L Kirby
Mrs W Dempsey
Mr M Absar
Mr A Jaleel
Mr A. Perry
Gearies Primary school
Board of Governors Communication Strategy
- The COG’s annual letter to parents
- Minutes of Governor meetings are available in the school
- Details about the Board of Governors are posted on the school website
- Governor attendance at PTA events
- Monitoring visits – feedback to pupils on roles
- Report of governor questionnaires to parents
- Meetings with the school council
- Governors to wear Governor ID badges when visiting
- Governors to accompany school visits