Redbridge local authority has introduced a clean air zone, known as School Streets, around the school as part of their plans to deliver a healthier, safer, greener and cleaner Redbridge.
Redbridge School Streets aim to:
- Reduce air pollution around our schools, making the air children breathe cleaner;
- Protect children from the dangers of traffic at the school gate, preventing accidents and keeping children safe;
- Encourage families to walk and cycle to school, improving health and fitness.
Redbridge School Streets prevent non-residential vehicle traffic from outside the zone from entering School Street zones and travelling past schools during school start and finish times, during term time only.
Residents and business located within the zone are entitled to a free vehicle exemption allowing them to enter the area during restricted times.
More information can be found here: https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/roads-and-pavements/redbridge-school-streets/
The School Streets prohibition means that during term time, vehicular traffic (motorcycles, cars, vans, and lorries) will be prohibited from entering the following roads:
- Waremead Road – between the entrance to Redbridge Institute and the junction with Gants Hill Crescent.
- Gants Hill Crescent – between the junction with Shere Road and the exit from Redbridge Institute.
- Sunnymede Drive – between the junction with Kenwood Gardens and the junction with Gants Hill Crescent.
These roads have been chosen for one or more of the following reasons:
- The entrances/exits to the school are located on the roads.
- To enable all driving to take place in a forward gear for road safety reasons.
- To avoid creating a cul-de-sac where parents will park, idle and manoeuvre whilst children are passing by on their way to and from school.
The times of the prohibition are:
- Morning: 8.00am – 9.15am
- Afternoon: 2.30m – 4.00pm